What to DO: When Phasing from Portly to Normal

It was an honor to have my first interviewee this week. A Portly Gentleman of style and class with a more urban edge to himself. Though this initial photo may through you for a loop I can vouch for his suave presence in the necessary environments. When not in a more formal mode of dressing Brandon P. more fondly known as BLURP! "Drips Sauce in All Flavors."

Here's just a portion of our interview. Click the sound cloud link for the full RAW Audio.

Interview with a Portly Gentleman 

So Blurp Whats Good bruh how you been? Aight' lets get right to it. What is your current waist size and what was the biggest you ever got?
Ain't S**t, Right now I'm a 38 at my biggest I topped out at a size 44 waist and 4 XL shirt.

How hard was it, or was it even hard for you to find clothes in your size back then? 
It wasn't that clothes were hard to find but it was the fact that the price was just more than I wanted to pay. I just got tired of having to pay more.

Did it make you work harder to lose weight?
I lost weight cause of  clothes actually, it wasn't for any health reason or anything like that.  It was just to get into the clothes I wanted to buy.

Man I heard that, I keep telling myself...
Clothes look a certain type of way on me, It's like when Gucci Mane got out he was saying "I can got d@#n wear this now and shop here now." That's how it is for me now. I know when go to the store, I don't have to go to one section or one area, I just go to the back of the rack where the 2(x's) are and I'm good.

What was your Brand of Choice when you were Bigger and Why?
LRG, because they always had 4 XL shirts. I knew I would find something in LRG that I could wear.

So because it was accessible it became your brand of choice?
Hell it was accessible but I liked the clothing too, I though it was fly... that's why I got LRG Tatted on me. (as he points to his Right forearm)

Understandable, Let me ask you why not Polo (Ralph Lauren)?
I couldn't find it like that, not the big sizes. Anyway my style is more street or urban as they say, give me a t-shirt and a hoodie, and I'm good to go.

So what's your brand of choice now? Is it still LRG or not that you've lost weight your options have opened up more?
I don't really have a brand I wear whatever I like

Do you have a preferred price point on clothes? like if it's cheap but it looks good will you still cop it? 
Hell Yeah, I'll grab a t-shirt out of a Target, then go to DTLR and by the high dollar s**t.  Look clothes and shoes that's my S**t, a majority of my money is spent on clothes and shoes. I get it from my mom. She'll Tell me, I did this to you and your sister, my mom thing is shoes and bags. My mom get s**t sent to my house to hide it from my dad. I got three boxes for her now in my truck.

So she still Hiding stuff uh? your dad be like baby when did you get those shoes. your mom reply oh I been had  these old things. 
Yep, it was the same way with me when I was staying there.

Man real quick I gotta tell you this story. I remember living in Albany, GA on the 4th floor of my apartment complex, my folks came to help me move across town. My pops and I had to make 3 trips up and down just for my shoes. Bruh, my dad was so pissed. He told me verbatim "Boy don't you ever buy another pair of shoes." Needless to say that was the last time my dad helped me move anywhere. 
When I moved out of my folks house, I moved my shoes before my folks help me move all the big s**t the next day, I had all my shoe boxes stacked up, my mom told me you ain't gotta worry about getting a dining room table you can just use them shoe boxes as a dining room table.  Just stack them up and put a table cloth on it ,you good to go... I told her that's not gone  fly, even till today I'm 32 years old I go over my folks house my dad be like where you get those shoes from. I tell him, man you done seen these shoes before. Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't but to keep him quiet, he done seen them before ya feel me.

You ever told your dad what's it to you? It's my money....
Nope. See my dad is the complete opposite, he has never spent over $50.00 for a pair of shoes. For example if we go out of town for like a 3 or 4 day trip, I guarantee you. My dad taking 1 pair of shoes, 2 pair of pants and one shirt for each day.

At your heaviest were you mentally concerned about how you looked in your clothes?
Yep, I still am today. That's why the mirror in this room here. (pointing to a random mirror in the kitchen) Man I have clothes everywhere when I'm getting dressed.  I may come to the mirror and take a look say nope I ain't feeling it like that. Throw those clothes on the couch and grab another outfit. I feel like if I don't feel like I look good in this s**t then it ain't gone work for me. But once I know I feel it, then it's lit.

Is high end fashion such as Gucci or Louis Vuitton an option now? 
Hell YEAH, back in the day it was Louis Vuitton, but now Gucci got the hot s**t to me, I'm definitely coping me a Gucci polo shirt with the snake on the collar. I'm prepared to go drop like $400 to $500 on a shirt. and I want the Full experience, I'm not shopping on line, I'm not going through eBay nothing like that. Hell I'm not going to Saks Fifth. I''m going to the Gucci store to get my shirt.

How big are shoes for you in your fashion decisions?
I have been caring about what's been on my feet since the second semester of my Freshman year. I'll never forget it. I was in my math class, I had ask my mom to buy some high top Air force One's, the ones with the strap. Man I had them thangs factory laced up so wrong, with the strapped tight at the top they clowned my a** so long for that. You ain't see no tongue on the shoe, just straight laces. I had to tug to get that b***h off my foot.

Man we've covered a lot anything else you want to give the people today? 
S**t Do you! Just Do you, whatever you feel comfortable in. Like i said earlier when you look in the mirror and you feel like you winning, s**t you winning. F@!* what everybody else say just don't put your hands on me.

The End

Once again big big thank you once again to my first interviewee, Mr. Brandon "Blurp" Parkman. 

As always, 

Stay Classy Gentlemen! 

Comments

Popular Posts